Thursday, May 4, 2017

May 4, 2017 Portsmouth, VA to Tangier Island, VA to Knapps Narrows, MD

We are officially underway.  The weeks leading up to May 1st and the few days since then have been busy and interesting to say the least.  We are currently in Tilghman Island, MD and expect to be here till Sunday, waiting out the weather.

Though the weeks pre-departure were hectic but we made sure to spend a lot of time with family....cookouts, shopping, quiet evenings and of course more shopping.  Never can get too much of that.  Of course Ken's was all on line, mine was with Stephanie and Melissa.  The last week of April we went to New Bern, NC to attend the Great Loop Association Spring Rendezvous.  We met a lot of loopers in progress.  Got some great tips and advice, as well as potential docktail mates along the way.  We got home Friday April 28th to be greeted by my brother, Jeff, and Ken's sister, Patsi.  They were here for the open boat party Saturday and to send us off on Monday.  They were also a great help with all the last minute things that needed to be done, though they may not have realized that till after they got here.  :)  I am sure they both went home tired and needed a vacation but we really appreciated all their help.  If you can't abuse your own family....

The open boat party was the highlight of the weekend.  Family and friends gathered at Independence for an afternoon of sunny, warm weather, great conversations, great food and lots of pictures.  Unfortunately, I need assistance from my tech savvy daughter to figure out where all my cell phone pics are that I think (but then maybe not) uploaded to the pc.  Hopefully I will have those pics post for the next communication.  In the meantime, Ken and I want to thank everyone for joining us and making our last weekend in dock, a wonderful affair.  And also, for all the well wishes we got from those who couldn't come.

Sunday, the day before we left, was insane.  Even though we had been planning and executing on it, there was still a million things to be done.  This is where Jeff and Patsi got abused, as well as Melissa.  :)  We made 3 trips to the boat with provisions and surprising everything fit with some room to spare. 

Monday, May 1st, arrived and we were ready to go.  Weather was sunny though a bit windy.  The family was all there to see us off.  There were hugs and kisses all round and time to start the engines.  Ken turn the key and NOTHING!  He checked several possible things and still nothing.  We finally had to get a mechanic to come on board.  It turned out that a butt connector was bad.  I kid you not, there is such a thing as butt connector.  It was fixed in minutes and we were waving to family as we motored out of the marina.  We were on our way!!!!

We made it to Tangier Island the first day despite high winds.  We had following seas so it wasn't too bad a trip.  We ended up staying 2 nights because the winds were blowing harder than yesterday. We met a couple who are gold loopers (meaning they finished the loop once) and were on their second loop trip.  Lovely couple and we had our first docktails with them.  Hope we meet up again along the way.  Unfortunately, we did not have internet and spotty cell services so using what data we could gather we decided to head out on Wednesday.  We had hoped to make it to Kent Narrows, MD but the wind on the bay was too much for me and Roofus.  We ducked into Tilghman Island instead, about 25 miles short of our goal.  It was a rough trip, poor Roofus got seasick, I broke my watch and almost my nerves and though Independence could take it, Ken was ready to head for calmer waters.  We plan to stay here till Sunday, May 7th, to wait out the weather.  If all good then we plan to make a run to Delaware City, DE, about 70 miles.  In the meantime, plan on relaxing, watching life on the water and snuggling with Roofus.

PS from Roofus
Please save me.  I have been kidnapped by two crazy people who look like my owners but can't be.  They have dragged me off on this boat which I never really cared for but now the boat is moving.  I should say it is rocking.  The cats on Tangier Island are not afraid of anything and the trip up the bay yesterday was miserable.  I need to wear my life preserver all day and on top of that I got seasick.  I tried really hard to give my best sad puppy eyes at Linda to make it all stop but she only hugged me.  I didn't need hugs, I needed dirt under my paws so I could take a good pee then sleep.  Thankfully today, it is quiet and I am catching up on my sleep but I am still on this boat!!  Please save me.




2 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you. Glad you all are safely underway and I especially LOVED reading Roofus' "PS", HILARIOUS!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY poor sweet Roofus!! She can come stay with me! ;) JK, I know she is happier with you guys! Glad you are doing well and LOVE the posts! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete