Monday, June 5, 2017

June 4, 2017 Erie Canal, NY - Locks 2 thru 17

We are traversing the Erie Canal heading west.  We went thru 16 locks in 3 days!  Talk about a crash course in how to lock through (dealing with currents, other boaters, using our fenders correctly), the different ways to lock up (lines, cables, pipes...) and probably most important, what NOT TO DO (dealing with currents, other boaters, using our fenders correctly, as well as how not to get dirty when handling the lines and communicating with each other).  The couple of OOPS we had were one timers, thank goodness, and we made it so far with only a couple of minor bumps to Independence and our nerves.  I have to say the locks are a blast and the scenery along the canal is gorgeous.  Weather has been better too, mainly in the low 60s and cloudy with periods of rain and sunshine.  The one thing missing has been the high winds we experienced on the Chesapeake Bay.  Don't miss it!!!
We caravanned the Waterford Flight (Locks 2 thru 6) with company.

Dam and lock 8 to the right.  Beautiful sunset and reflection.
Another beautiful day on our way to Lock 17.
Lock 17 is the only lock that you enter under the gate.  Like going into a tunnel.  Also, a 40 foot lift.  Next 3 pics, all Lock 17.  First one, is a view of the lock exit.  Note that lock doors are not the full length of the lift.  Second and third pics are Ken and I manning the lines to keep Independence on the wall.


This year the Erie Canal is celebrating 200 years since construction began.  The eastern canal rises from Lock 2 thru Lock 20 to 420 feet above sea level.  We plan to be on Lock 20 tomorrow.  After that we will be descending down toward Lake Ontario. 
Flags are the state of NY and the New York Canal System celebrating 200 years since construction began.
In the background is a Guard Gate.  These are used to help control the waters and debris along the Erie canal.
A portion of the remaining 1917 aqueduct.  Used to bridge creeks and feeding waters to the Erie canal.  This allowed the mules to continue pulling the barges on the canal without interruptions.
We have been Little Falls Canal Harbor for the last few days just west of Lock 17.  The town of Little Falls is my favorite place so far.  It's a sleepy little town now but used to be America's number one cheese market established in 1861 and saw its demise in the 1920s when motorized vehicles started transporting the dairy milk directly to city centers.  There is a lot to see here.  We rode our bikes to Lock 17 and got a totally different view.  Today we walked up the side of hill (literally, so steep)  to see the DH Burrell mansion.  He was big in the cheese business.  :)  The farmers market was nice and there are lots of geese with their baby goslings and saw a wedding right here at the harbor. 

8 babies!!
DH Burrell mansion.  It's now a B&B.  We want to come back via land and stay here.
Our walk to the top of Lock 17.  Not sure if I like it better from this view or from inside it.  :)  This was my favorite lock.
First major injury.  Though not because of anything to do with cruising and everything to do with my being a klutz.  Thank you for insurance.

PS from Roofus:

I do not like all these locks.  I just get comfortable and into a great nap and my humans are waking me up and putting on the floor, sometimes with my life preserver on (adding insult to injury).  They leave me there, by myself, while they go outside to hang on to lines that appear to serve no purpose, except to annoy me.  I stick my head out the tiny gap in the sliding door and bark at them to come back in.  And what do I get for my efforts, they either tell me to hush or just wave at me and smile.  How rude!! 
I will admit that once we docked up, I got to go for long walks, sit in the sun (like in the pic) and get lots of snacks and hugs.  But really over the locks.






2 comments:

  1. I've got a mule, her name is Sal . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lock 17 looks AWESOME! And the old mansion/bed and breakfast is beautiful! Sorry about your phone, but happy they could fix it today! Give Roofus a BIG snuggle for me!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete